Friday, July 15, 2016

The Champ is Here

It has always been my goal to surround my kids with positive role models. I want them to see and experience the passion and success of hardworking people. I want them to understand that sometimes you have to work hard to get what you want.

My boys are aspiring mixed martial artists. I have written a previous post that details my feelings regarding MMA. I recently got the opportunity to talk frankly with a very successful mixed martial artist.


Julio Arce celebrating his victory in the Ring of Combat.



Julio Arce is a 26 year old from Queens, New York. He has a professional fighting record of 8 wins and 2 losses as a bantam weight. He is currently training for his debut in the Cage Fury Fighting Championships in Atlantic City on August 6th. Not only is he 100% dedicated to his career as a mixed martial artist, he also instructs children and adults in mixed martial arts six days a week. He recently took time out of his busy schedule to talk with me.

Julio, better known as Sensei by his students, began training in mixed martial arts at the age of 13. When asked why he started MMA, he said, 

"I was a chubby kid who did nothing but sit around and play video games. I tried other activities but nothing really interested me and I wasn't motivated." 

His sister brought him to Tiger Schulmann, and this was the moment when things started to change. I asked what inspired him to continue to push to the next level? 

"Throughout my training I went from a 200 pound kid with rolls of fat to six pack abs, shredded. At the same time I loved training because it's a sport or art that you can't cheat yourself in. You have to train hard to sharpen techniques you learn . . . it's just hard work and discipline. Martial Arts is a vehicle to develop the human potential. I love it!"

It's hard not to be inspired by the passion that this man exudes for his sport. He was able to transform himself from a 200 pound kid at 5'7", to a 135 pound powerhouse who has quickly made a name for himself in the world of MMA.

Sensei Arce began teaching MMA at the age of 15. "I wanted to teach martial arts because I love martial arts." He continues, "For a young kid it's easy to call it quits when something gets tough. I teach them that even it seems tough, keep pushing yourself." These are lessons all students learn from their Sensei. Sensei Arce loves watching the transformations that take place in his students.


The last question that I had for Sensei Arce was, "What are the most important lessons that you have learned from MMA and how do you pass those lessons on to your students?"


"To never give up. That hard work and discipline will guarantee you success. When you know how to defend yourself, you will carry yourself in a more confident way. You will learn to lead, be humble, and respectful of others. If you train in martial arts . . . you just know that you are a badass!"



Julio Arce was a pleasure to interview. His passion for life and what he does is contagious. From the moment he steps on the mat you can see the way the children's eyes light up. He is more than their Sensei, he is their role model. He inspires the fight in all of his students. I wish him nothing but the best and continued success in his MMA career!



No comments:

Post a Comment