Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Life Change

My life has taken several unexpected twists and turns due to being a mother and a Marine. Many things that have happened have been beyond my control because of the nature of the military. 2012 was a year where I was able to take my career into my own hands.

In early 2012 I was sent to Career Course in Quantico, Virginia. My twins were two and I had never really been away from them. I was nervous about going to this course because I had struggled with returning to my pre-baby shape and fitness levels. Any woman who has been a Marine will understand the struggle. Career Course is a requirement in the Marine Corps, especially if you want to be competitive for promotion.

Me and 3 of my boys.

I swallowed my fears, went down to Quantico and excelled. I met some pretty amazing peers in the process, one in particular that would change the course of my Marine Corps path. The Marine that I met was a former Drill Instructor. I had always had this secret dream about returning to Parris Island to make Marines, but being a mom to five kiddos in my mind made this dream untouchable. I made a half-hearted attempt one time, and emailed my monitor and asked if this path would be a possibility. He told me no due to the critical nature of my job. 
I told my friend about my previous attempts, he encouraged me to keep trying and not to give up so easily. Every day I saw him in class and everyday he would ask me, "Well?" Finally, the last week of the two month course I made my decision.

I went to visit my monitor. A monitor is a Marine who oversees Marines and places them around the world according to their Military Occupational Specialty or Job. All monitors are based in Quantico. This was fortunate for me. After being denied on my first attempt, I went straight to the source and planted myself down in his cubicle. Apparently he was out to lunch. I was told that he would be back within a half-hour. No problem, I decided to wait. This was my secret dream after all. 

I watched the first hour pass, I dug my heels in and three hours later he returned. He walked in, looked at me and said, "What do you want?" I said, "I emailed you a year ago and asked if I could be released to become a Drill Instructor. You said no, but here I am and I still want to be a Drill Instructor!" In my mind's eye I hoped he would admire my tenacity and let me live my dream. He sighed, sat down, and said, "OK." That day changed the path of my life forever.

I would no longer be just another Marine. I would get the chance to become one of the elite. One of only a few who get the chance to attend the premiere school of leadership in the Marine Corps. I would have the opportunity to forge the future of the United States Marine Corps. 


My Drill Instructor School Photo.


I went to Drill Instructor School 8 months later. I graduated as an Honor Graduate and the class Iron Woman. Being named the class Iron Woman (the most physically fit) was a huge accomplishment for me because I was the oldest woman there at 32, and also a mom. As I mentioned in the beginning of this post how I had struggled to return to my former self physically, well I worked and pushed myself everyday to become a better version of me.

DI School Graduation Day.

 The years I spent as a Drill Instructor were the hardest and most rewarding part of my career as a Marine. I would never trade the experiences I had or the friends I made for anything in the world. I would never have been able to do what I did without the support of my husband and my kiddos. They were there with me every step of the way.


Me flexing as a greenbelt DI.

Encouraging recruits.

Graduating my platoon as a Senior Drill Instructor.

I wanted the chance to make a difference in the Corps. I wanted to have the opportunity to impact young women on their journey to becoming Marines and teach them to live the best version of their lives. Life is what you make it, only you limit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment