Monday, June 13, 2016

CrossFit for Kids

There has always been controversy surrounding children and weightlifting. I have heard everything from "It will stunt their growth!" to "They're just going to hurt themselves!" I happen to be firmly planted on the other side of the fence. I believe that weight training, done in moderation and with proper supervision can be very beneficial to children. 

My daughter Skye doing a back squat.
CrossFit is an excellent way to incorporate weight training into your child's life. CrossFit employs an approach that constantly varies training, functional movements and intensity. It is easily adaptable to all levels of fitness. CrossFit focuses on the core movements of life, and workouts are geared towards functional fitness. I am an avid CrossFit athlete, and I have given my kids the opportunity to participate in this sport as well. It has strengthened their bodies and increased their confidence in their abilities. I have only seen positive results from my kid's involvement in CrossFit.  

My twins age 6 learning ring pulls, a precursor to pull-ups.
I recommend that anyone looking for a platform for functional fitness seriously take a look at CrossFit. It is great for the whole family. The workouts are adaptable for all abilities and skill levels. CrossFit does not ostracize individuals. It may seem that CrossFit is only about the individual, but it is truly about the CrossFit team and family. Every individual accomplishment is also a team accomplishment. Every accomplishment is celebrated no matter how big or small. CrossFit truly fosters camaraderie and a team spirit. This is a sport that truly gets you up and moving. Remember . . . a body in motion stays in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment