Saturday, August 6, 2016

Brooks GTS

I am not a professional runner. I run to relax and let go of the stress that I carry around. I probably don't pay enough attention to my form or the amount of miles that I put on my shoes. I am here to tell you, that no matter if you are a pro or a beginner, it is imperative to track the miles that you put on your shoes and pay attention to your body.

Last week I was out on a fairly short run. I was doing 5 miles and then finishing up with some strides. Nothing that should break my back. I woke up the next morning and my lower back was in excruciating pain. I figured it was because I was not sleeping in my bed, I was on vacation after all. 

I rolled out of bed, got some coffee, popped two Aleve and got ready to head out on a long run. Eventually the pain subsided and I found my rhythm. The next morning I awoke with the same issues. I decided to take it easy. 

I happened to be scrolling through some of the old pictures on my phone when I came across one of me finishing the Marine Corps Marathon. Imagine my surprise when I glanced down at my feet and saw my beloved Brooks GTS running shoes. The very shoes I had on my feet the previous day. Just to give you a gauge on the age of my shoes, the Marine Corps Marathon was last Fall, we are now well into August. I had run a Marathon, several half marathons, and countless training runs in my Brooks. I could have kicked myself!

It was definitely time to update my shoes. There is no magic number out there that will tell you the exact time to change shoes. What is important is tracking your runs and noting how your body feels after a run. Don't ignore body. It will tell when it is time.


So out I went to the nearest running store and got an update. The next day I set out on another 5 miles and felt AMAZING. I also started using an app on my phone called Run Keeper. There is a paid and free version that you can download on your phone. It tracks your mileage and allows you to note how you are feeling on particular days. You can also keep track of the weather, routes, and elevation. I have found it very useful. It will also give you updates every 5 minutes about your average pace and current pace while you are running.

Remember, a body in motion . . . stays in motion!

No comments:

Post a Comment